October 24, 2023, Organizational Meeting
At the October 24, 2023, Organizational meeting, Ward 5 Councillor Corinna Williams was acclaimed as Reeve and Ward 4 Councillor Art Laurin was elected as Deputy Reeve.
Council appointed public members to the Agricultural Service Board, Economic and Tourism Development Committee, Family and Community Support Services Committee, Intermunicipal Weed & Pest Appeal Board, Municipal Planning Commission, Northern Sunrise County Watershed Advisory Committee and the Regional Assessment Review Board. A complete list of all Boards and Committees will soon be available on the County website.
Vacancies remaining on County Boards & Committees will be advertised.
Council also appointed Councillors to the above committees and boards, as well as several external committees. These appointments will also be included in the list of all Boards and Committees that will be available on the County’s website.
October 24, 2023, Council Meeting
At the regular Council meeting held on October 24, 2023, Administration was directed to:
- Amend Land Use Bylaw B430/23 as discussed.
- Submit a joint application for the Indigenous and Municipal Police Transition Study Grant program with the Town of Peace River to assess the region’s policing needs.
- Send a letter to the Provincial and Federal governments expressing Council’s concern regarding the discontinuation of the General Education Development examination process.
- Bring a report back to Council on developing an immigration program in collaboration with the Town of Peace River in order to attract and retain workers in the Peace River region.
Council proclaimed November 13-17, 2023, as Métis Week in Northern Sunrise County.
Donations and Sponsorships:
- $1,060 to the St. Isidore Cultural Committee to cover the costs of the tipping fees at the landfill for their project to demolish the old community hall.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- November 14 & 28, 2023, regular Council Meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the Northern Sunrise County Council Chamber.
Council meetings will also be available for virtual attendance.
To access the meeting link visit northernsunrise.civicweb.net.
Watch for the County’s float in the upcoming Peace River & District Chamber of Commerce Santa Claus Parade on November 25, 2023, in Peace River.
Also stay tuned for details of the County’s Christmas Open House on December 13, 2023.