October 10, 2023, Council Meeting
At the regular Council meeting held on October 10, 2023, Administration was directed to:
- To schedule a Governance and Priorities Committee meeting to discuss Bylaw B435/23 for the Purpose of Amending the Sunrise Gateway Business Park Bylaw B189/11.
- Send the Northern Sunrise County Housing Market Analysis report to the Heart River Housing, North Peace Housing Foundation, neighbouring municipalities, and the Minister of Housing, Infrastructure, and Communities with a letter expressing Council’s opposition to the new tiered energy building codes and the escalating costs resulting from the program.
- Create a Northern Sunrise County Youth Council as outlined in the Northern Sunrise County Bursaries and Scholarship Options report dated September 13, 2023.
- Partner with the Northern Alberta Development Council (NADC) and the Northwest Alberta Foundation (NAF) to develop a bursary partnership program with the County in 2024 as follows:
- Two scholarships with NADC at $3,500 per year for four-year university programs;
- Two scholarships with NAF at $2,500 per year for two-year college programs;
- Three scholarships with NAF at $1,000 per year for a minimum of 6-week apprenticeships programs.
- Partner with Northern Lakes College to host two youth trades camps in 2024.
- Send a letter to Dr. Vanessa Sheane, acting President and CEO of Northwestern Polytechnic for providing a follow up response to the July 27, 2023 Fairview Campus Tour meeting.
Donations and Sponsorships:
- $1,000 to Peace River Library’s Festival of Trees event happening on November 21-25, 2023 and an item for the silent auction to help raise funds for the Peace River Municipal Library.
- $3,000 to the Northern Lakes College Youth Trade Camps scholarship program for 2024.
- $100,000 to the Misery Mountain Ski Hill (Peace River Ski Club 1963) to assist with insurance costs and capital expenditures.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- October 23, 2023, Budget meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- October 24, 2023, Organizational meeting at 9:30 a.m. and regular Council meeting to follow in the Northern Sunrise County Council Chamber.
- November 13, 2023 Governance and Priorities Committee Meeting at 4:00 p.m.
Council meetings will also be available for virtual attendance.
To access the meeting link visit northernsunrise.civicweb.net.