At the regular Council meeting held on September 26, 2023, Administration was directed to:
- Send a letter to Premier Danielle Smith outlining the impacts of the Peace River Correctional Centre’s inmate release process and its contribution to the increasing homelessness and crime in the Town of Peace River, in support of their campaign to address homelessness and crime.
- Send a letter of support to the Peace Regional RCMP Community Advisory Committee regarding the pilot project for a Northwest Bail Crown Prosecutor in Peace River to better address the safety concerns caused by the current tele-bail process.
- Request a meeting with the Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors during the Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) Fall Convention to discuss:
- Construction of a turning lane at the intersection of Highway 2 and Township Road 830 (North Harmon Valley Road) as it is a safety issue
- Request that the Alberta Transportation Regional Director position remain in Peace River
- Request for the coordination of utility services for the Highway 686 Corridor
- Winter maintenance of Highway 986
- Request a meeting with the Commanding Officer of Alberta RCMP during the RMA Fall Convention to discuss:
- A Northwest Regional Bail Crown Prosecutor based out of Peace River
- The Peace Regional Mental Health and Addictions Task Force
- An update on the Community Safety and Well-being Task Force
- Council gave third reading to and passed Bylaw B436/23 to repeal Bylaw B425/23 to Establish the Designated Officer Position of the Director of Legislative Services and Human Resources as presented.
- Council gave third reading to and passed Bylaw B437/23 Revised Regional Assessment Review Board as presented.
Donations and Sponsorships:
- $500 to the Peace Regional Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to assist with the costs of caring for animals brought to the shelter from Northern Sunrise County.
- $10,000 to the Nampa/Northern Sunrise County Community Services 2023 Christmas Gift Card Program.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- October 10, 2023, regular Council meeting
- October 23, 2023, Budget meeting
- October 24, 2023, Organizational meeting at 9:30 a.m. and regular Council meeting to follow in the Northern Sunrise County Council Chamber.
Council meetings will also be available for virtual attendance.
To access the meeting link visit northernsunrise.civicweb.net.