October 25, 2022, Organizational Meeting
At the October 25, 2022, organizational meeting, Ward 5 Councillor Corinna Williams was elected as Reeve and Ward 1 Councillor Carolyn Kolebaba was elected as Deputy Reeve.
Council appointed public members to the Agricultural Service Board, Economic and Tourism Development Committee, Family and Community Support Services Committee, Intermunicipal Weed & Pest Appeal Board, Municipal Planning Commission, Northern Sunrise County Watershed Advisory Committee and the Regional Assessment Review Board. A complete list of all Boards and Committees will soon be available on the County website.
Vacancies remaining on County Boards & Committees will be advertised.
Council also appointed Councillors to the above committees and boards, as well as several external committees. These appointments will also be included in the list of all Boards and Committees that will be available on the County’s website.
October 25, 2022, Council Meeting
Council recognized Deputy Fire Chief, Julien Bergeron, for receiving the Emergency Management Exemplary Service Award – Outstanding Contribution to Emergency Management. Recipients of the Award have distinguished themselves through their actions and contributions to advancing emergency management in Canada— to save lives, preserve the environment and protect property and the economy. As a partnership between provincial, territorial and federal governments, the Award recognizes recipients who have achieved excellence in their respective fields.
Council proclaimed November 8, 2022, as National Aboriginal Veterans Day in Northern Sunrise County.
Donations and Sponsorships:
- $500 to the Peace River Air Cadets and the Peace River Royal Canadian Legion for the Remembrance Day Services in Nampa and Peace River, AB.
- $600 to the Peace River Winter Swim Club to assist with the cost of their lane reel replacement project.
- $300 Silver sponsorship for the 2023 Peace River Pow Wow Calendars.
- $500 to the Peace River Curling Club for their 80th Anniversary Bonspiel.
- Jan Sotocinal with the Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency for a discussion about the Northern Sunrise County Land Use Bylaw Refresh.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- November 15 & 29, 2022, regular Council Meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the Northern Sunrise County Council Chamber.
Council meetings will also be available for virtual attendance. To access the meeting link visit northernsunrise.civicweb.net.
Watch for the County’s float in the upcoming Peace River & District Chamber of Commerce Santa Claus Parade on November 26, 2022, in Peace River.
Also, stay tuned for details of the County’s Christmas Open House on December 8, 2022.