At the regular Council meeting held on November 13, 2018, Administration was directed to:
- Advise the Hemp Alberta Northern Advantage Steering Committee that the County will contribute $5,000 in 2018 and 2019 for the hemp initiative, and that Councillor Williams has been appointed to the committee.
- Advise the Peace Regional Women’s Shelter Society that $25,000 has been included in the draft 2019 operating budget for their facility expansion project contingent on the Society securing the full amount for the cost of the project.
- Enter into a memorandum of understanding with Big Lakes County and the County of Northern Lights to create an Intermunicipal Weed and Pest Appeal Board.
- Sponsor two members from the Northern Sunrise Rural Crimewatch Committee to attend the Alberta Provincial Rural Crimewatch Association 2019 Annual General Meeting and Crime Symposium on Feb 1-2, 2019 in Nisku, AB.
- Request an extension from Alberta Municipal Affairs from 2 to 3 years for the Intermunicipal Development Plan and Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework with the County of Northern Lights.
- Send a letter to the Town of Peace River indicating that the County supports, in principle, the proposed crime prevention through environmental design program workshops in 2019.
- Advise the MD of Opportunity that Reeve Kolebaba and Councillor Williams have been appointed to the municipal committee for Highway 686.
- Send a letter to Alberta Transportation outlining the County’s ongoing concerns with the proposed route for the twinning of Highway 2.
- Appoint Marlene Kunstleben to the FCSS Committee.
- Appoint Councillor Whitehead to the FCSS Committee as the representative for Cadotte Lake until such a time as a member at large can be appointed.
- Appoint Claude Rodrigue to the Watershed Advisory Committee.
- Request an update from the Government of Canada on the land settlement claim with Lubicon Lake Band #453 with respect to lands and infrastructure in the hamlet of Little Buffalo.
- Council gave first and second reading to Bylaw B335/18 Intermunicipal Weed and Pest Appeal Board between Northern Sunrise County, Big Lakes County and the County of Northern Lights.
- Council gave first and second reading to Bylaw B338/18 Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework between Northern Sunrise County and Big Lakes County.
- $500 to the Peace River Royal Canadian Legion for the Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 11, 2018 in Peace River, AB
- $500 to the Peace River Cadets Squadron #124 for Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 11, 2018 in Nampa, AB.
- $600 to the Peace River Aboriginal Interagency Committee for the 2019 Pow Wow Calendars.
- $1,000 to the Peace River Curling Club for the Junior Curling program.
- Council received a presentation from the Peace Regional Economic Development Alliance regarding the Hemp Alberta Northern Advantage Steering Committee.
- Council received a presentation from TELUS regarding fibre optic connection opportunities for the Sunrise Gateway Business Park.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- November 27 and December 11 – Regular Council Meetings. All meetings start at 9:30 a.m.
Watch for the County’s float in the upcoming Peace River & District Chamber of Commerce Santa Claus Parade on November 24, 2018 in Peace River.
Also stay tuned for details of the County’s Christmas Open House on December 19, 2018 from 4-7 p.m.