At the regular Council meeting held on February 28, 2023, Administration was directed to:
- Send a letter to the Minister of National Defence regarding the County’s disappointment with the decision of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds to not perform at the Peace Regional Airshow on July 22-23, 2023.
- Send a letter to NAV Canada regarding the County’s concerns regarding their review of air traffic services and aviation weather requirements for the Peace River Airport.
- Send a letter to Alberta Transportation advocating that the 0.4 kilometre gravel portion of Highway 744 on Judah Hill be paved.
- Send a letter of congratulations to Team Skrlik for their performance at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts that was held February 17–26, 2023, in Kamloops, BC.
Council proclaimed June 5–11, 2023, as Seniors’ Week in Northern Sunrise County.
- Council gave third reading to Bylaw B423/23 Director of Finance and Bylaw B425/23 Director of Legislative Services and Human Resources as presented.
- Council gave first and second reading to Bylaw B424/23 Fees and Charges Bylaw as presented. Third reading will be requested at the March 14, 2023, regular Council meeting.
- Council gave first reading to Bylaw B428/23 for the purpose of redistricting a portion of Plan 1422529; Block 1; Lot 1 from Agricultural District (A) to Direct Control District (DC) as presented. The Public Hearing will be held on March 28, 2023, at 10:00 a.m.
- Council gave first and second reading to Bylaw B429/23 to Repeal Bylaw B126/07 Debenture – Sunrise Gateway Business Park and Bylaw B135/07 Amendment to Bylaw B126/07 as presented. Third reading will be requested at the March 14, 2023, regular Council meeting.
- Vicki Lefrancois and Ben Roche with the Peace Regional Airshow Association provided an update on the upcoming Airshow on July 22-23, 2023 in Peace River, AB.
- Nathan Shirley and Andy Cummings with the Natural Resources Conservation Board provided an update on the role of municipal land use planning in the permitting of confined feeding operations.
- Liisa Jeffries, Dr. Blasius Azuhnwi and Katie McLachlan with the Peace Country Beef and Forage Association provided an update on their operations.
Donations and Sponsorships:
- $5,000 to the Peace Regional Airshow Association for the Airshow on July 22-23, 2023, in Peace River, AB.
- $1,000 to the North Peace Performing Arts Festival Committee for the music festival on March 18 – April 1, 2023, in Peace River, AB.
- $600 to community groups organizing a Seniors’ Week event.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- March 14 & March 28, 2023, regular Council Meetings at 9:30 a.m. in the Northern Sunrise County Council Chamber.
Council meetings will also be available for virtual attendance.
To access the meeting link visit northernsunrise.civicweb.net.