At the regular Council meeting held on April 21, 2020, Administration was directed to:
- Send a letter to the federal and provincial governments regarding opportunities for financial assistance programs for companies that are experiencing financial hardship from the economic downturn in the energy sector.
- Send Agricultural Services Unit #63032 – 2010 Chev Silverado extended cab 4×4, Unit #63054 – 2015 Degalman 20’ Side arm, and the 4500 litre retired diesel tank to a Ritchie Bros. auction being held in Grimshaw, AB on Tuesday, June 16, 2020, as per Policy 1.2 Disposal of Surplus Items.
- Send a letter of support to Double F and Company Ltd. for their Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications grant application.
- Provide either one or the other of the following two options to County ratepayers for all tax classes for the 2020 Tax Notice Year: 1. A 5% discount on the general municipal portion only for 2020 if the full balance of property taxes are paid by June 30, 2020,excluding the Education, Housing and Industrial Assessment Fee amounts; 2. A deferral of the collection of 50% of the education and general municipal portion of property taxes until December 31, 2020, excluding the Housing and Industrial Assessment Fee amounts. Information regarding this will be included in the 2020 Tax Notices that ratepayers will receive in the mail.
- Sign the Conditional Grant Agreement for the 2020/2021 Municipal Internship Program for Administrators – Second Year.
Council proclaimed May 17-23, 2020 as National Public Works Week in Northern Sunrise County.
- Council gave third reading to Bylaw B373/20 Tax Rate Bylaw as presented.
Council approved the following Policies as presented:
- Policy 2.1 Clubroot of Canola
- Policy 2.6 Virulent Blackleg
- Policy 2.15 Recording of Committee Meetings
- Bill Sheets, with the Peace Regional Outreach Student and Daycare Support Society, provided an update on their operations for the 2019/2020 school year.
Upcoming Council Meetings:
- May 12 and 26 regular Council Meetings 9:30 a.m.
As the County Administration building remains closed to the public, all upcoming Council meetings are available to join online. The public is also welcome to submit written communication regarding a Council agenda item before the Council meeting begins.