What is FCSS?Family Community Support Services
Family and Community Support Services is a partnership between the Province, Municipalities and Métis Settlements that develops locally driven preventive social initiatives to enhance the well-being of individuals, families and communities.
The FCSS Regulations says that the program must:
- Promote volunteerism.
- Be preventative.
- Enhance, strengthen and stabilize family and community life.
- Improve people’s ability to identify and act on their own needs.
- Help avert family or community social breakdowns.
- Help prevent small problems from turning into crisis.
- Provide citizens with information about its planning and operation.
- Use clearly identified needs and effective planning as the basis for services provided.
- Encourage cooperation and coordination with other services in the community.
The FCSS Regulation says that the program must not:
- Primarily provide for recreation or leisure time pursuits.
- Offer direct financial assistance to an individual or family.
- Be primarily rehabilitative in nature.
- Duplicate services that fall within the mandate of a government agency or services already available in the community.
According to the FCSS Regulation, municipalities may use the FCSS program to offer five categories of service:
- Services that promote the social development of children and their families.
- Services that enrich and strengthen family life by developing skills so people function more effectively within their own environment.
- Services that enhance the quality of life of the retired and semi-retired.
- Services to promote, encourage, and support volunteer work in the community.
- Services to inform the public of available services.
Some of the programs we offer are the following:
- Babysitting Course
- Bike Rodeo
- Identification Program
- Home Alone Course
- Senior’s Health Sessions
- Home Support
- Visitation to lonely/sick
- Assistance in Filling out Forms (i.e:Gov’t)
- Senior’s Van Trips
- Welcome Wagon Packages
- Parenting Programs
- Financial Planning
- Wills & Estates Information
- Substance Use & Abuse information
- Mental Health Information
- Parents & Tots Program
- Hot Meals for Seniors
- Women’s Conference
- Volunteer Appreciation
- Family Day
- Supper with Santa
- Breakfast with the Bunny
- Senior’s Coffee Mornings
- Youth Groups/Day Camps
- Disaster Services
- Friendly Listening
- Property & Identity Theft Awareness
- Women’s Wellness
- *Information & Referral to other Agencies (Mental Health, Home Care, RCMP)
Within the County, Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) are offered from three offices located as follows:
Nampa | Harmon Valley | Reno | Marie Reine FCSS
Phone: (780) 322-3954
St. Isidore/Three Creeks/Wesley Creek FCSS
(Domaine des Ainés)
Phone: (780) 624-8071
Little Buffalo/Cadotte Lake FCSS
Mamowintowin Cultural Centre
Phone: (780) 629-2476